“I HATE RUSSELL” - BY A FRIEND WHO WILL REMAIN ANONYMOUS

A really lovely gal I met on the cruise told Michael and I about her excursion experience in Nosy Be, Madagascar, the same port where I fainted, an extremely uncomfortable hot and humid place.  The names of the passengers have not been changed to protect the guilty.  Although her language may be a bit “salty” at times, the frustration can be immense when you’re dealing with these type of discourteous passengers.  I heard of another passenger whose other excursion was also ruined by Russell and she told the Shorex person in charge to inform her whether Russell and his wife were taking another one she had selected because she wouldn’t take it if they were. 

I personally saw behavior from this guy that was rude and inconsiderate.  Remember, he’s a very frail looking old guy and can barely walk on level ground.  During one of the evenings of very rough seas, I saw him walking into the dining room and two very nice waiters came up, each beside him, and gave them his arm to assist him to his table.  He stopped, flexed his arm muscles (as if he had any) in a bodybuilder post and ignored the kind assistance of his wait staff. 

On to my friend’s story which I received permission to publish…..

Hi All - Nosey Be, Madagascar

We tendered in to "town" where we caught a 16-passenger boat to be taken to a different part of the Island where we could walk in the rain forest to see lemurs (a kind of monkey).   Other things too, - maybe a boa constrictor - Oh I could not wait for this tour!!!!

Anyway, we get on the boat (the step down from the dock to the boat was so big I thought I hurt my knee (I didn't), but it did tweek.  So off we go at record speed to this part of the Island where we know in advance it will be a "wet landing" ie:  get off in the water near the beach and walk on the beach.  WELLLLL, the full moons of the prior two days, played havoc with the tides and we ended up having to walk 3 football field lengths in water to our knees; we could not see the bottom, so stepped in holes, some people fell, (I stumbled) till we got to the beach.  When we finally hit land, I was so happy you would have thought I had been a castaway for a year. BUT, we still had to walk on the beach about the length of lower Otero to get to this little rustic village.  When I got there, I was so tired (not the tour if you are still recovering and not at top strength) and HOT, I decided to wait in the village while the others went to the rain forest.

During this mess, this guy in his 80's is on this trip.  He has to be helped on to the boat, helped with his life jacket, his wife had to get his shoes off so he could walk in the water.   Well, by the time ole Russell got to the beach, everyone was waiting to go to the rain forest.  Well, Russell now had to get his shoes and socks back on, which took about 10 minutes with his wife doing the work.  I suggested to Russell he stay with me at the little village.  “Oh no,” says Russell, “we paid for this,” soooo off they all go.   One hour later, (my husband) comes back just dripping sweat and exhausted.  He said it was a good thing I did not go.   Well as he is telling me this, here comes Russell draped over a guide on either side of him.   George says they would have been back 1/2 hour earlier, but Russell almost passed out twice so they ALL had to wait for him to be able to continue.

Ok during this time I have waited at the village, sat on a lounge, and watched all the preparation for the hikers return.  I read my book, had a coke and a water and enjoyed my time.  When it was time to get up, I get a cramp in my leg (first one since leaving home).  I had stayed in the same position too long.  When one of the native ladies saw the pain I was in, she rushed over to help me.   She started massaging my leg.   Well I now have a black and blue from her thumb print in my leg.  Bless her heart for helping me, I gave her a tip and thanked her, but now I look like I got hit by a softball.

So, now I am cooled down and feeling recovered, Russell is as conscious as Russell gets and the others have had a drink along with some fruit.   So now it is time to wade the 3 football fields back to the boat.   We get to the boat, no ladder, so I get up on the platform on my hands and knees (as did others) and was able to stand up and get my seat. What a pretty sight that was!! I think I am the last one back on this boat, but when I turn around, Fucking Russell, his wife and Russell's 2 guides are still ON THE BEACH.  Holy shit, now we all sit in the boat, which is covered, thank you God, and wait till they can support Russell to the boat.  Now they have to lift him to the platform and 1 guide lifts him under his armpits to a standing position and helps him to his seat.   They help him/her on with life jackets and we are finally able to head the boat back to the pier.    During our 1/2 hour boat trip back, Russell has to get off his wet socks, put on dry socks and his shoes.  It took both he and his wife the entire 1/2 hour to accomplish this task.  I was exhausted watching this.    As we approach the pier, Russell and Laura get out 5 one dollar bills for a tip.   Soooooo, I asked if they would like to borrow a 20 to tip the guys as they had helped them so much and I had a couple with me.  Yes, I did too.  They declined my offer. Of course, now we are back at the pier, Russell and Laura are the last ones off this little boat and we are all able to disperse in different  directions. (My husband) headed into town and I got on the tender to head back to the ship to shower and order room service for lunch.  I was DONE with this day.

Just for the fun note, a school of dolphins was right beside us on the way back to the pier.

We all ended up getting a $35.00 shipboard credit for our inconvenience.  I hate Russell.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CRUISING ON THE PACIFIC

FIVE DAYS TO GO

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND – February 12th