HUATULCO, MEXICO – MAY 7TH


Huatulco sits on southern Mexico’s coast known as the Pacific Riviera about 165 miles from the state capital of Oaxaca City.  It has a population of 33,194.  The Mexican Peso (MXN) is the currency.  Spanish is the language but English is widely spoken.
 


Prior to visiting Darwin, Australia (in 2016) and Nosy Be, Madagascar (this Cruise), Huatulco, according to my memory, was the hottest place on earth.   I don’t remember when it was but on our last visit to Huatulco, I remember our plan was to find a pool or beach off the ship – I have no idea what I was thinking.  I wore my black bathing suit under a black cover up (a disaster from the get go) and headed out.  Jump ahead to 2019 – my bathing suit never came out of the suitcase;  I have absolutely no idea why I even pack it, along with two coverups, and these three items will probably be the only things that don’t need to be laundered or dry-cleaned when we return home.  Back to the Huatulco experience. 

I still remember walking to some tent-like structures to buy t-shirts and, I, again, remember exactly the t-shirts I bought depicting three lizards even though I never wear t-shirts and they remain at home unworn.  We never made it to a pool or beach and I recall almost crawling back to the ship on the asphalt on the pier with my tongue hanging out.  I eventually made it up to the pool deck and literally dumped myself into the pool.  I felt like a baby whale and my hubby, knowing I probably wouldn’t drown, went to one of the nearby bars and ordered me the largest glass of Diet Coke – something else I haven’t imbibed in almost three years because of the aspartame – and delivered it to me at the edge of the pool as my body finally began to cool down in the water.  With only my head resting on the edge of the pool, I tilted the glass so I could devour the liquid through the straw.  I must say it tasted pretty good, at the time, although I would’ve been much better off with water. 

Needless to say, I wasn’t about to venture out again in Huatulco although, from the ship, it looked much nicer than it had been those several years ago.  I did send Michael out for a magnet and he did, in fact, return with a great one.  I texted him to let me know when he’d be walking back on the pier so I could take photos of him from our balcony.  I did so and I was able to take photos of him near the ship as well as accepting a cool, moist towel at the gangway from Sebastian, a lovely gal who was in charge of the water/towels and also who creates all the lovely flower centerpieces we enjoy all around the ship.  




MICHAEL’S OBSERVATIONS:  Huatulco has really grown up.  There’s been so much development I barely recognized the town.  I clearly remember the long concrete dock which gave easy access to the tents of the various vendors several years ago.  Those tents are gone and have been replaced by a resort and a beautiful town.  One thing that remained was the heat and humidity.  If you stay close to the beach and sand, there is a lovely cooling breeze.  Once you move to the back of the town, you can really feel the humidity.  I enjoyed my walk around, spoke with many nice shopkeepers, saved a dollar off my magnet purchase because I bought it away from the beach area.  If you’re looking for a very quaint little town with nice beaches, you might bing Huatulco Realty because they’re building lots of condos and time shares. 














Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CRUISING ON THE PACIFIC

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND – February 12th

FIVE DAYS TO GO