FINAL THOUGHTS


FINAL THOUGHTS

It was somewhat emotionally difficult to dismantle our room after living in this space for over three months.  It took a couple of days to move things around in our six suitcases so that none weighed over 50 lbs.  I did, of course, take too much stuff - including, three sweaters I never wore; too much toothpaste; and I will never take a bath suit and cover up again, anywhere, unless the ship has a “thermal suite.”  A complete waste of valuable suitcase space.  That being said, I was very happy to see our luggage as they appeared, one by one, on the carousel at the airport. 




After our flight from Los Angeles to Seattle with a magnificent view of Mt. Rainier as we approached SEA-TAC Airport, I could not have been more thrilled to breathe the fresh, cool air as we crossed the Puget Sound to Bainbridge Island and smelling the welcoming fragrance of our lilacs as we pulled up in our driveway.  I couldn’t be happier.  






I haven’t had much time so far this week to come up with my final thoughts.  Amidst unpacking six suitcases and I have no idea how many loads of laundry, opening mail (my favorite thing to do when I return home from vacation), paying bills, getting my second shingles shot which knocked me out for about 12 hours, completing surveys for Princess Cruises, grocery shopping and a trip to Walmart, I had a dental appointment for the tooth that gave me so much trouble throughout the cruise and required a visit to the dentist in Sydney.  Requiring a root canal, I had an appointment with an endodontist on Tuesday for an evaluation.  Returning home to find my car “dead” required a new battery and Michael getting new brakes and tune up for his car.  Root canal today.  Other than all that, it’s been a good week. 

Final thoughts:  I feel very blessed and grateful for having the opportunity to complete the second World Cruise.  After visiting over 70 countries in the world, I have an even greater appreciation for our wonderful country -- the freedoms and standard of living we enjoy and the opportunities given to everyone.  The overwhelming amount of “stuff” that is available to us on the shelves of our groceries, the condition of schools most children in this country attend, employment opportunities and housing -- taken for granted by so many people who haven’t seen how the billions of people in the world live. 

I have learned so much from the crew members onboard during this cruise, and, quite frankly, on every cruise we’ve taken.   The vast majority of the crew graduated from universities and speak several languages.  It is most unfortunate that their countries do not provide them opportunities for which they’re able to use their various skills.  Depending upon the country they’re from, their contracts can range from six to nine months.  There is no minimum wage requirements nor are there limits to the number of hours they work - which can be between 11 and 14, depending upon their status.  The crew primarily work for tips.  They have NO days off during their 6-9 month contracts - only hours.  And, yet, on the Panama Canal segment of this cruise, I was told there were probably 14% of passengers that will remove the amount of daily tips Princess adds to a passenger’s account.  Although not mandatory, they are recommended.  I’d like to see the response from any of these passengers who were denied vacation days/sick leave/overtime, etc. through their own employment.

I’ve said it a hundred times.  I believe every student in the United States graduating from high school should have two options:  (1) join the military for two years; OR (2) work on a cruise ship for one year.  After that, they can go to university or do whatever else they want.  In either case, they will learn discipline, an invaluable work ethic and an appreciation of how blessed they are to live in this country.

There were many passengers who go on the World Cruise every year and several have done it ten times.  No doubt people will ask me, “So are you going to do this again?” To that question, I respond with a most unflattering video of myself -- taken as a reminder in the unlikely event I ever express a desire to do it all again.  



I do hope you’ve enjoyed our travel blog;  I thank all of you who’ve written to say how much you’ve enjoyed it.  I tried to put my heart, soul, thoughts and feelings into my descriptions to give you a sense of being there with us.  I do hope I have accomplished that in some small degree. 

Totsiens, aloha, selamat tinggal, revoir, adios, haere rā, good-bye….

MICHAEL’S OBSERVATIONS:   This second World Cruise flew by at lightning speed unlike 2016.  I can only equate this to the phenomenon of driving to a location you’ve never been at, worrying about the roads and the time and feeling like it took forever to get there and, yet, it always seems the return trip home is way faster than the trip getting there.  I use this illustration to explain why the trip moved so quickly

Having done a World Cruise before, I was well prepared for this second trip.  In fact, the only thing I didn’t pack was a shoehorn.  I was able to borrow one from our cabin steward.  It seems like Leona had planned for months in advance our clothing, our consumables and other things we would need on this trip.  Leona did not fail in her preparations.  In fact, it seems that we over-prepared and, in the end, we left at least 20 lbs. of gear with our cabin steward to share with his friends.  Truly this really was a trip of a lifetime.  My favorite spots were Komodo Island Shamwari Game Reserve.  I don’t think I’ll ever forget those visits for as long as I live.  While a great visit, I am very glad to be home. 

LEONA’S FURTHER THOUGHTS:  My favorites:  Shamwari Game Reserve, Kuala Lumpur and Komodo Island. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CRUISING ON THE PACIFIC

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND – February 12th

FIVE DAYS TO GO