CINCO DE MAYO BRUNCH – MAY 5TH



As I mentioned before, the Maître d’ and Chef prepare a culinary banquet for the passengers on special occasions celebrating Carnival, Easter and now our final brunch, on Cinco de Mayo.  Although we seldom actually eat at the brunches, Michael’s favorite food is Mexican so we enjoyed a lunch and he a margarita and marveled at all the decorations and costumes and the enormous work that goes into planning something like this.  We always appreciate the hours put in by the wait staff and the galley who decorate and cook all night to get things ready.  
















Mirella

Tania
 
Daniel



What is always a treat for me is the celebration itself.  Our Cruise Director, in his morning Wake Show, let us all know exactly what we were celebrating today.  More importantly, I did not hear one complaint from anyone about the costumes worn or the food served as being racist or, in the insanely politically correct environment in the United States, culturally misappropriated.  I, personally, don’t understand why one group of people should have a monopoly on a particular food or clothing.  Wearing a sombrero or sarape is not insulting or racist. I’m an American and of Polish and German descent.  It would not bother me in the least if anyone wore a Krakowianka costume or dirndl and made and sold kielbasy or celebrated Oktoberfest wearing lederhosen and made and sold bratwurst who did not have Polish or German ancestry.  But, hey, that’s just me. 

MICHAEL’S OBSERVATIONS:  I generally avoid the Sunday brunches because I find that it’s like a shark frenzy and I don’t feel comfortable sitting at a table where people are constantly getting up and down in order to retrieve more food.  But this Sunday brunch was way different.  I was able to enjoy dining because we arrived so late most people were already leaving.  I was able to enjoy my pork al pastor, rice, beans, guacamole and green Tabasco sauce and a wonderful Cadillac margarita which is very healthy because it contains Vitamin C.  I took lots of photos of our friends, the crew staff, and decorations.  One of the best brunches I attended and a great way to start off our final week onboard.

LEONA’S FURTHER OBSERVATION:   Michael is, clearly, a man of very few words.  An interesting tidbit of information he failed to impart is about his margarita.  Every day, the cruise ship offers a new cocktail and Cinco de Mayo was no exception.  What was being offered and served to him when he asked for a margarita was, in fact, a “Pina en Fuego” which is made from Patron silver tequila, fresh lime juice, simple syrup and sliced fresh jalapenos.  While he loves jalapenos, the combination did not do well in his throat.  He asked our waiter, Diego, to replace it with a Cadillac margarita and couldn’t have been happier with his dose of Vitamin C!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CRUISING ON THE PACIFIC

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND – February 12th

FIVE DAYS TO GO